Tuesday, June 25, 2013

My Peace Corps Timeline

One of the most useful resources throughout the months leading up to my departure to Cameroon has been the blogs written by other Peace Corps volunteers.  I thought I'd chime in with my own Peace Corps Timeline with hope that maybe I can help future volunteers know what to expect with regard to the application and invitation process.  Besides, all the cool kids are doing it!

September 20, 2012: Began filling out the online application.

October 14, 2012:  Application submitted.  (I could have finished it a lot sooner, but schoolwork and finals slowed me down a bit).  Health History Form received and completed.

November 13, 2012:  My three references were contacted with forms to submit within ten days.

November 30, 2012:  Interview via webcam, which failed and turned into an interview over the phone.  Officially nominated during the interview for the sector of of Environment: Agroforestry and Permanent Farming Systems, to depart in September!!!  (Although my recruiter didn't tell me what country I was nominated for, I used my sneaky internet skills and found out that it would most likely be Cameroon, based on the program details and departure date.)

December 2012:  Fingerprints taken at Marblehead Police Department and mailed for legal clearance.

February 11, 2013:  Legally cleared!

April 24, 2013:  Placement skills questionnaire received via email.

April 29, 2013:  Updated resume and placement skills questionnaire submitted.

May 3, 2013:  Officially invited to serve as an Environment Education Agent in Cameroon!

May 4, 2013:  Invitation accepted (without hesitation!)

May 13, 2013:  Updated resume (in PC format) and Aspiration Statement submitted.

May-June 2013:  A couple dozen online tasks completed.  Doctors appointments galore.  Eyes checked, blood drawn, teeth poked and prodded.  (Tasks due on July 13th).

June 7, 2013:  Application for no-fee passport and visa mailed.

July 9, 2013:  Received final medical and dental clearance.

September 11, 2013: Staging begins.

September 13, 2013:  Arrival in Cameroon!!!


1 comment: